Sunday 22 May 2011

Allen Gant Update

As mentioned last week, Ohio safety Allen Gant finally picked up a Michigan offer, something he's been coveting for a long time. In a recent interview with TomVH of MGoBlog, Allen's father, Tony, himself a former Wolverine player, said that Michigan probably leads for his son, and that a decision could come within a month.

This is obviously good news, especially since Allen will be visiting Ann Arbor in late May; I wouldn't rule out a commitment on the spot there. Gant is strong safety in my book, which means the coaching staff will then be looking for a Free (deep) safety with one of the other DB spaces.

Speaking of DB spaces, Armani Reeves claims that there will be four for Michigan in this class. The UM coaches told him that they wanted 2 CBs and 2 safeties. I know we have to trust the coaching staff and everything, but this seems like one too many to me. We've taken a lot of DBs lately, and whilst we've lost a lot too, I think 3 would suffice in this class.

This also tells us that the coaches are probably expecting a fair bit of attrition either this summer or after the fall, because it feels like they're recruiting for a class of 25! I think they will take at 14, maybe 15 defensive recruits, and they want 5 OL, at least 2 TEs, and then some skill positions, at least one RB, QB, and WR. That would give 25.

Got an exam tomorrow morning, but there's going to be a major reshuffle of the Ideal Class list tomorrow afternoon, so get ready for that!

11 comments:

  1. awesome post! a class of 25 probably puts us in the top ten top 5 for classes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the class was going to be larger than expected im still thinking it may be more than 25 as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't implying that the coaches are looking for a free safety still, are you Benji? That would impact my guess for the silent commit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take this for what its worth, but one of the guys who does the stories for scout.com thinks that strobel may be a silent commitment to michigan. They talked about it on mgoblog and when I went on and read it he was playing around it and not directly answering questions about it. So who knows what could happen here with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the silent commit wasn't from the midwest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not Strobel. I believe the news of the silent commitment occurred before Strobel's visit to campus, and besides, the silent commit isn't from the Midwest. Given that virtually ALL our recruits are in the Midwest bar a couple, it really shouldn't be hard to guess at who it might be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This guy was saying that step el could be another silent commit. Not the one from new York.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thoughts on Jordan Jenkins..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who the heck is Step El ?.... Antwaan Randle El's cousin ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's hoping Cesar :P

    As for Jordan Jenkins, an extremely reliable source tells me Michigan will probably get a visit. But the class may well be full by the time he decides, so I wouldn't focus too much on him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this was the update I was missing and I really thank you for this because I needed since the bloggers on price per head services website gave me the opportunity to write a guest post and I needed this information thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete