Sunday 4 December 2011

If I had a vote

I'm sure a lot of you are anxiously awaiting the final BCS standings which come out tonight, so to help kill some time, here's my thoughts on the BCS rankings.

#1 LSU vs #2 Oklahoma State (!!!)

Explanation: If you look at strength of schedule, I really don't think Alabama deserve to play LSU in the national title game. Imagine if they did have a rematch and Bama won by 3pts in overtime, who would really be the national champion? The teams would have split two games, by equal winning margins, but I would still argue that LSU had the more impressive win in Tuscaloosa and thus should be national champions? Screw that! Put Oklahoma St in there, a team with the ability to actually score points on LSU, and a team that has played a tough schedule. The cowboys only loss comes in double overtime on a week where there were clearly off field distractions for the team and university in general. Their defense isn't great in terms of yards, but they are opportunistic, as proven yesterday. Plus, Justin Blackmon will own whatever corner LSU matches up against him.

As for Michigan, I have us ranked 14th, which would make us eligible for a BCS bowl, which I think we'll get. I have MSU at #13 because they did beat us by two touchdowns, and they played a great game last night against Wisconsin. Still, MSU won't go to a BCS bowl, even if they are ranked higher than us because...they're little brother, and will always be a less attractive team. They'll end up in the outback bowl or something like that, call it karma for the way they played against us, i.e dirty.

13 comments:

  1. I hope you are right Benji. I was bored the 1st time I watched Bama/LSU. Would hate to have to sit through that again. Ok. State just put a beat down on their rival and proved that they should be given an opportunity. I hope it happens, but I'm very doubtful. All those SEC lovers will assuredly make sure Bama gets there. I personally didn't think we deserved a second shot at OSU even though I would have gladly taken it.
    While I am on the Ohio/Michigan rematch... how much would it suck if 1 of these years we hand Bucknut a beat down the last week of the season and then lose a close rematch the FOLLOWING week? I would hate to lose a Rose Bowl or BCS championship due to that scenario! Just a thought that has been steady on my mind lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Benji...it would be satisfying for MSU to be put back in their place again. Karma's a bitch, especially for Isaiah Lewis, who's pick-6 iced the game against Michigan, but is now the goat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Michigan does not deserve a rematch. They lost to the number 1 team by three points. It's time to give an SEC team a shot at them." Fast forward 5 years, "Alabama deserves a rematch. They lost to the number 1 team by three points. It's time to give an SEC rematch because they're superior."

    Hypocrites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Alabama is a better team than Oklahoma State. If Alabama doesn't play LSU, they will play us in the Sugar Bowl, which would be a good test for us, but I don't want to play the same team twice in a row given that we already play Alabama in our first game next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chatsports has a great article about msu crying about how they beat michigan but don't get a bcs bowl game its pretty funny they sound like kids crying about what's fair

    ReplyDelete
  6. CBS Sports Michigan #12 in BCS.

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs

    ReplyDelete
  7. via twitter:SPORTSbyBROOKS
    Multiple sources, including one inside UT football program, told me today Mack Brown will likely be forced out at Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ap and USA today polls are in...

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Latest projections have Michigan vs Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl as long as Alabama stays in the championship. If Okie State somehow slips in then it'll be Michigan vs Boise in the Fiesta Bowl

    ReplyDelete
  10. @GoBlueInOhio...do you happen to have a link for that article? I'd love to piss my pants from laughter this morning at the non-sensical logic Sparty fans have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bama is #2 in both polls which is 2/3 of bcs so it looks like sugar bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AP is not part of the BCS equation. The Harris Poll, which has yet to be released, will be the final determinant as to whom will play LSU.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Akmed 2011 sorry I don't have a link but just go to www.chatsports.com and the michigan link its like the first or second story it's pretty funny the way I agree with pretty much every thing you said yesterday about the bowl prediction and people talking shit about a team that we are all supposed to like you are a true michigan fan go blue

    ReplyDelete